Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mama's got a brand new bag

I gained 75 lbs. when I was pregnant with the twins.

Let me repeat that.

SEVENTY FIVE POUNDS! That is a TEENAGER. I could have strapped a teenage girl to my person and walked around for months. It probably would have been much more attractive than what was actually going on anyway.

So this pregnancy was a little easier on me, I only gained 50 lbs. Moderate. And now I have 30 left of those to lose. I know this information is really nobody's business but I'm about to lose it...the weight, not my mind. And I figure that if I throw it out there to blogger who-knows-how-many-people-may-be-reading-this land, then I'll have a little extra accountability because I'll be mortified if I say I'm going to lose it and then I don't. I had to wait for two things in order for the weight loss to commence. The first was that I had to stop, uh, how shall I say this?...the continuing effects of giving birth. And the second was that we had to be back in the place where I was making all of our meals. There were so many wonderful, generous people bringing us meals after Levi was born and I appreciated it so much, but if my thighs had endure one more pot pie, things were gonna get ugly. So both of those things have, in fact, come to an end and I am now ready to roll.

So I officially signed up for Weight Watchers again today. I was so completely irritated inspired by Jennifer Hudson strutting her skinny swag all over the walls of the place. She looked so happy to have lost her teenage girl. So I'm on board. Great. Say goodbye to a lot of money per month and and say hello to so much brussel sprouts.

The other thing I'm doing is a "Couch to 5K" running program. This is totally miserable for me. It's great exercise and it's like running for dummies but I'll tell you what...for a person who HATES running with the passion of a thousand fiery demons, this ain't easy.  I mean, my newborn is not really on a nap schedule yet and the twins only nap once a day for an hour and half. So in order for all three of my kids to be sleeping at the same time, all the cosmos and the stars need to align and God himself must bestow his favor upon my day. And when that happens, I have one gojillion things to do that I can choose from like, oh I don't know:
throw in a load of laundry
shower
catch up on Glee or Idol or DWTS
clean up after breakfast/lunch/dinner from the night before
read a book
So why, why, WHY would I throw all of those options aside and instead VOLUNTARILY enter into CARDIAC ARREST?? I mean really I'm not being modest when I say that I'm not a good runner. But so help me, if I have to listen to this song on repeat in my ear buds until I reach my goal I WILL do it. I'm going to run a lovely 5k at Sodus Point in July. There, I said it. Now hold me to it. I'm begging you to ridicule me if I don't do it. Unless I go into actual cardiac arrest. Then please just shut up and send flowers. Thanks.

So there it is, my own little mommy makeover. Now with my spirits rising, let's hope my weight shall be plummeting and all shall be well again. Wish me luck and cheer me from the sidelines.

But not like this.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you Sam! As one of your followers ('met' you on fb thru friends as a fellow twin mom)- I love it when you post! You get your words down so beautifully! Having just completed my own mommy makeover I just want to encourage you to be strong. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Sam!!! You are brave. Even looking at my "running" ( more like collect dust shoes) makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing and can do it!!!!! ps- first time I've been back on your blog since Levi and oh how I've missed it. You're such a good momma and an inspiration to me. Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make me laugh! Not that your topics are always humorous, but you have a way of expressing yourself that is absolutely delightful! I myself am in the process of losing 2 teenagers - yes, 2. I gained 43 lbs during pregnancy with my twins and now they are going to college in the Fall!! Oh yeah, I lost ALL 43 lbs in 6 months, but when the kids turned double digits I started gaining some back!! Life only gets more interesting in the teen years and with menopause introducing itself at the same time, I decided that my makeover was long over due! in Jan I joined Weight Watchers - as of yesterday I have only lost 8.4lbs, but as the twins high school graduation looms closer, I find it harder and harder to commit to running, much less counting points; I am soaking in every conversation, comforting every broken heart, squeezing them so tight because I know they will be gone soon - not the pounds I'm trying to lose...the life I've loved of being a mom.
    So you go girl! You run, and diet and be the best woman/wife/mom you can be - for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think this is the best blog you have ever written. and i am pouring cookie dough all over you out of a huge gatorade jug when you run that 5k. i don't care how you - or your thighs - feel about it... i will carry you upon my shoulders in victory.

    ReplyDelete